Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday. October 3rd, 2012

I slept better last night, got 5 hours straight from around midnight to 5am. I got up to use the bathroom and my vitals done, then slept for another 2 hours. I'm not in a rush to go home because there's no pain pump there. LOL. But the PA was just here and she said if I begin to pass gas today I may be able to go home Thursday night or Friday morning. I was EXTREMELY sore at the incision site that I actually cried it hurt so bad. But I hadn't used the pain pump for 5 hours. I used it immediately when I got back into bed and the soreness started to subside after the 4th pump. It delivers 0.02mg of hydromorphone on each push of the button. It allows me up to 2mg per hour but I haven't given myself the allowed maximum yet. The most was I gave myself was 1mg yesterday before and after my CT exam.

I was in a lot of pain in the right side of my lower chest and since I have a history of a pulmonary embolism, they sent me for a CT, ultrasound, an EKG and more blood tests. Honestly, I think it's just trapped gas since I haven't been able to pass gas or have a bowel movement. My menu slip said coffee on it but I was not getting it. I FINALLY got a cup of coffee now and I can already feel it working it's magic. LOL. I don't have any clots in my legs and the CT had to have shown nothing because I'm not in the ICU. So I'm banking on that pain being from gas and the PA and nurses agree.

I am getting a picc line today though because I have an IV line in my hand that needs to come out and I needed a CT done yesterday but I needed an IV line above the wrist for the bolus contrast injection and it took 3 attempts to get one above my wrist. And the one they got is a small vein and everything hurts going through it. I'm talking straight up BURN that brings tears to my eyes.

Dr. Fiorica just came by and confirmed me not having a PE, so that's good. He said I've turned a large corner in my recovery by being able to get around and not being catheterized. He said I'm doing fabulous and the incision staples look good. I'll probably have them removed in about a week and a 1/2. If I can begin having gas I'll be out of here tomorrow night after dinner or Friday after lunch. He wants me to have at least 1 or 2 regular meals before I leave. He also said it's going to take about a week for the biopsy reports to come back because it was such a huge mass. He also said the mass looked borderline cancerous but won't know until the report comes in. And he said the other biopsy places he took from were precautionary because if the mass came back as cancer I would have had to have another surgery for those biopsies. He said the sites he took from looked clear, but again.... I have to wait for the reports to come back. I'm not out  of the woods yet about having chemo until those biopsy reports return. So keep the well wishes & prayers going that I won't need it!

Anyway, gonna hit the pain pump a bit because I'm getting ready to take a shower, then do a walk down the hallway soon. Hopefully I'll have a good day and will be able to pass gas. It's funny they things you wish for for when you're in this situation but I'm praying for a good fart here people! LOL. I am burping which is a good sign :)

Hope everyone has a great day and cross your fingers I have one too!

Love yous all and God Bless!!!


  1. So good to hear you're doing so well after such a horrendous surgery. I am praying for you and thinking of you all day.... if there's anything I can do for you, just let me know. More power to you.... heal heal heal!!! LOL Love, MN

  2. Praying for you! Was just shocked when i caught up with what is going on with you! So excited you passed your exams.. then this... yikes... God is good and will get you through and you will be healed... one way or another... (either His touch, or medicine or both!!) xoxo